FANDOM


Prince Rogers Nelson (June 7, 1958 – April 21, 2016) was an American singer, songwriter, musician, record producer, and filmmaker.

Born and raised in Minneapolis, Minnesota, Prince was known for his eclectic work, flamboyant stage presence, extravagant fashion sense and use of makeup, and wide vocal range. Prince was also a multi-instrumentalist;[1][2] considered a guitar virtuoso, he was also skilled at playing the drums, percussion, bass, keyboards, and synthesizer.[3] His innovative music integrated a wide variety of styles, including funk, rock, R&B, new wave, soul, psychedelia, and pop. He sold over 100 million records worldwide, making him one of the best-selling music artists of all time.[4] He won eight Grammy Awards,[5] six American Music Awards,[6] a Golden Globe Award,[7] and an Academy Award for the 1984 film Purple Rain.[8] He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2004

On April 20, Prince's representatives called Howard Kornfeld, a California specialist in addiction medicine and pain management, seeking medical help for Prince. Kornfeld scheduled to meet with Prince on April 22, and he contacted a local physician who cleared his schedule for a physical examination on April 21.[191][196] On April 21, at 9:43 am, the Carver County Sheriff's Office received a 9-1-1 call requesting that an ambulance be sent to Prince's home at Paisley Park. The caller initially told the dispatcher that an unidentified person at the home was unconscious, then moments later said he was dead, and finally identified the person as Prince.[197] The caller was Kornfeld's son, who had flown in with buprenorphine that morning to devise a treatment plan for opioid addiction.[191] Emergency responders found Prince unresponsive in an elevator and performed CPR, but a paramedic said he had been dead for about six hours,[198] and they were unable to revive him. They pronounced him dead at 10:07 am, 19 minutes after their arrival.[191] There were no signs of suicide or foul play.[191] A press release from the Midwest Medical Examiner's Office in Anoka County on June 2 stated that Prince had died of an accidental overdose of fentanyl,[199] at the age of 57.